The board members Josep Bargallo and Jordi Puigneró presented the Plan STEMcat , an interdepartmental plan between the Departments of Education, Digital Policies and Public Administration, and Company and Knowledge, on Tuesday, the 17th of September, at Montseny School of Barcelona, with the aim To promote scientific, technological and mathematical vocations.
On his visit to the Montseny School in Barcelona, the general director of Innovation, Research and Digital Culture, Mar Camacho , and the general director of Digital Society, Joana Barbany , also attended. Accompanied by the director of the Yolanda Gonzàlez school, they visited some of the classrooms in the center.
An inter-departmental working group consisting of 2 representatives from each department and one representative of the Catalan university system will be responsible for carrying out the project.
The Plan has five main objectives :
- Increase the number of students graduated in STEM studies.
- Increase the proportion of women in these studies.
- Improve the competences of this field in compulsory education.
- Improve personal, academic and professional orientation based on coordinated programs between the educational system and companies
- Transmit the social value of science, technology and mathematics.
In order to develop these objectives, the plan includes a series of outstanding actions , such as strengthening the training of compulsory education teachers in the STEM area, improving their scientific, technological and mathematical competencies and their evaluation.
In addition, the involvement of companies in the sector is a key strategic issue, therefore, both activities are planned in educational centers and in professional orientation.