The purpose of the World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (DMTSI - WTISD) is to is to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide. Held on May 17 due to an event: the anniversary of the signing of the first International Telegraph Convention in 1865. It was also the day chosen to create the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
This year focuses on the power of Big Data for development and aims to explore how to turn imperfect, complex, often unstructured data into actionable information in a development context.
The Catalan Association of Telecommunications Engineers (Telecos.cat), the College of Engineering in Computer Catalonia (COEINF) and the Association GrausTIC will organize the roundtable Big data for big impact. Will take place on Wednesday 17 May at 12 p.m at the Barcelona Mobile World Centre.
The program is as follows:
12.00 Welcome by:
- Aleix Valls, CEO Moblie World Capital
- Pedro Linares, president of Telecos.cat
- Eduard Martin, dean of COEINF
- Dani Pujol, president of GrausTIC
12.10 Official opening by Mr. Houla Zhao, ITU Secretary General (via video)
12.15 Roundtable: "Big Data for Big Impact" with:
- Carlos Castillo, director of research at Data Science Eureco
- Eduard Gil, Data Leader at the Department of Justice of the Government of Catalonia
- Ferran Marqués, director of the UPC-ETSETB
- Big Data Expert in the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (to be specific)
- Moderator: Teresa Serra, director and founding partner of TESEM
13.15 Open turn of words
13.45 Closing ceremony, led by Jordi Puigneró, secretary of Telecommunications, Cybersecurity and Digital Society of the Generalitat of Catalonia. Then proceed to the signing of the founding charter of the Association of IT Professionals of Catalonia.
14.00 glass of cava networking
Registration can be made through this form.